Qur’an Gate is a historical gate located in northeastern entrance of the city of Shiraz in the canyon of Allah-o Akbar between Chehel Maqam Mountain and Baba-Koohi Mountain located at the exit of Shiraz towards the city of Marvdasht. The Gate was first built during the reign of Adud al-Dawla (936-983 AD). By the time of the Zand dynasty, it had sustained a lot of damage, so it was restored and a small room on top was added, in which hand-written Qurans were kept by Sultan Ibrahim Bin Shahrukh Gurekani. Travelers passing underneath the gates were believed to receive the blessing of the Holy Book as they began their trip or journey from Shiraz.
During the Qajar dynasty, the gate was damaged by multiple earthquakes. It was later restored by Mohammad Zaki Khan Nouri. In 1937 the two Qurans were taken from the gate to the Pars Museum in Shiraz, where they remain today. In 1949 the arch of the gate was restored by Hosein Igar, a merchant also known as E’temad Al-Tejar.
A Qur’an used to be placed on top of the gate; travelers passing underneath the gates were believed to receive the blessing of the Holy Book as they began their trip or journey from Shiraz. Shirazi people used to get through the gate in the first day of each month to protect themselves against any kind of evil. Today the gates are part of a city park where Shirazis relax and picnic during their leisure hours.